Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sports = Pain and Suffering

FACT:
If you are determined to teach your son not to be afraid of the ball you will bloody his nose. Every time. Murphy's Law. My husband is trying to teach our youngest not to be afraid of the baseball. He keeps turning his head away when catching. They head out to the yard for a special practice session to focus on this. First pitch and WHAM. Blood gushing. Accidentally of course - his head was turned so yeah he missed catching it. "Suck it up buddy. You got hit in the nose. That's the worst that can happen. You lived. Now lets play ball." Problem solved. Every moment is teachable apparently.

FACT:
Don't think at middle age you can keep up with your kids. Not gonna happen. I'm learning to play tennis. As my husband is busy with baseball, my 12 yr old is learning with me. We've been out a few times - it's lots of fun. We can get a little volley going. I'd say we're about equal but he'd probably tell it differently. After one long session my arm was numb, very sore, I tried to shag baseballs immediately following that session and couldn't get the ball across the dirt. Really. Almost paralysis. Does he feel anything? Anything at all? Nope. Nothing but hilarity that Mom is whining and he don't feel a thing. Example #2: We were having a jump rope competition today and Danny hurt his heel. He is now limping and scarfing Ibuprofen. A jump rope injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment