Monday, September 14, 2009

Braggin' on my boys

Mathias got an interception this past Saturday. He had one in our pre-season scrimmage and was thrilled to get one in this game. He was tackled before running it back though - but still very proud. He's old enough now to notice things. Initially in practice he was starting both sides of the ball . . . then a few players were shuffled and he's now on second string offense. (White O not Orange O) He had a good attitude about it. He admitted he was "a bit sad, but I'm OK." His team has great coaching staff. We were excepting a win against this team (next weeks team will be tough - they haven't been scored on) So this past weekend the coaches played White O quite a bit and the kids who don't usually play were on the field more often. Despite that, I think the score was 24 - 0? Our head coach's son is really good but I like the fact that this coach gives other kids a chance to play. We car pool with kid that has never played football before. We knew him from basketball . . . he's very athletic and very fast . . . he's also scared to get hit - like most first timers. This past Saturday he was given the opportunity to run the ball and he made some great runs and scored a TD! He also caught an awesome pass for the extra point. I think that's why I enjoy mighty mite football so much - to see kids do something they've never done before and to see how proud they are of accomplishing something. Another kid got his first tackle. It was Mathias's teacher's nephew. . . it always surprises me how in a city this big it seems small sometimes. No I can't point out as many cousins and second cousins as Priscella can walking down Main St but this city can still be homey.

Isaiah played a hard game. He sat out just one play. This was a noon game in 102+ heat. When we got home he crashed and napped for 2 hours. They played an evenly matched team but lost 0-12. Coach's kid was QB the whole game. . . maybe this would have been winnable otherwise . . . I just don't like them looking at the kids after the game and saying "this is what it tastes like to lose." Most of those kids played really hard and it's not entirely their fault. Isaiah got some great tackles in the first half. Leaving the game, an opposing teams parent complimented him. "Great game, you were throwing them around out there." I saw one hit that reminded me of a WWF move - he lifts the guy up then comes crashing down on him. Danny says he'll eventually get a penalty for that, need to tackle a bit diffent, run through the guy instead. In the last quarter, Isaiah got a holding penalty and a false start penalty. He was down on himself about it. I don't remember him ever getting a flag before. I'm sure he was exhausted in that last quarter. Hubby was working overtime, Eliya was screaming (no nap, second game of the day), DJ was puking in the stands (too much heat, too much Horchata icee?) so my play by play of Isaiah's game is a little hazy. Ah well, some days just go that way. Errors or no errors, I'm proud of Isaiah's attitude and effort. He doesn't give up or wimp out or complain or make excuses. That's my boy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment