Thursday, July 30, 2009

Creative Writing

I've been trying to work with my boys a bit this summer and have them spend some time writing in preparation for the upcoming school year. I usually give them free reign as far as topic goes. They've described their favorite part of a family trip, written descriptive essays on squirrel chasing, and instructions for extreme dodge ball. Today I read a great esty article that emphasised the importance of interesting writing - something more than just dry stats to capture the customers attention and help them remember you. As a mom the bulk of my writing consists of To Do lists or Grocery lists with the occasional email to grandma about baby's teething and constipation. It's been too long since English class. I feel ill equipped and out of practice. But I gave it a shot and rewrote my shop announcement . . . and I'm sure I'll rewrite it again and again!

I've always enjoyed great writing and even if the subject doesn't appeal to me something well written will gain my attention. Good writing will make you come back again and again to hear what else that author has to say. Rick Rielly (who wrote for Sports Illustrated for years) was always the first thing I'd turn to. I'd have to read quickly before Danny snagged the mag from me - as a sports ignorant wife I didn't get first dibs! (now even my youngest boy fights us for it) but since Rielly moved to ESPN I just hand it over. Dave Barry's column in the Sunday paper was a favorite too. When he stopped doing a column we stopped getting the paper. The blog Confessions of a Pioneer Woman began as a simple blog about cattle ranching and is now read by thousands. That said I don't need publishers knocking at my door, I just need a few folks to stop for a moment and get drawn in long enough to make a sale. So I'm not going to settle for "this barrette is 1.25 in long" but try for a bit more. Are there any ad slogans or companies that caught your attention with their writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment